Sunday 27 September 2009

The Big Race - City Of Salford 10K

So, the big day. Early start, had to be at the Lowry between 8 - 8:30, to start the race at 9:30. They close the roads off, so you need to get there before to ensure you get in. I was up at a similar time as on a work day (6:45am!) and had a quick breakfast of museli and a cup of coffee. I then decided this wasn't calorific enough and had some chocolate pop tarts for good measure.

We arrived easily enough and milled around watching all the much obviously fitter and more commited runners than us warm up. We pretended to do some daft stretches and then figured that actual stretching was in fact a good idea and limbered up. That hour of waiting was worse than the actual race, we were keen to get going. The start time came and we were off. Rick said to not try and keep up with everyone and just run at our own pace and let people pass us. Then when the siren went he was off out of the blocks and sprinting across the bridge with me shouting for him to slow down. I was aiming for a time of around 55 mins, that's (easy maths) 5.5 mins per km. After 1k we had been running for 4.5 mins. I continued telling Rick to ease off. After 2k and a time of 9 mins I decided I couldn't keep this pace up for the whole 10k and eased off a little myself. Rick got the message and dropped back. It was a fairly quiet affair for the first few K. It was just the sound of a peaceful Sunday morning and the footfalls of a few hundred people, indespered with the odd bit of panting. By 4km me and Rick were waffling as normal, it helps us run. We eat up the miles that way. The 5km point was marked by a water station. We wondered whether to do the classic swig of water, rest over your head, drop the cup. I managed to get a face full of water just trying to drink whilst running (it's an aquired skill I think). It was some sort of energy drink and I was rather sticky. I decided against pouring it over my head and finished it. We then had a few K of running down a straight road. This was the most gruelling bit. Just wathcing the runners and road disappearing into the distance and then seeing the leaders coming the other way on the other side of the road. You ran round a roundabout and ran back down. I particularly flagged on this bit. It was boring more than anything. We entertained ourselves by chatting to a bloke who was running a similar pace and coming up with comedy slogans about winning and losing. Some favourites were, "Winning is everything, taking part is nowhere."... "It's not whether I win or lose, it's whether I beat YOU!" and, "It's not the winning or losing that counts, it's whether you beat those girls running in tutus!" We eventually got over the long stretch and hit the 8km mark. We approached the island with The Lowry on again. Rick was keeping pace with me and it was agreed I could happily maintain my pace on my own if he felt he wanted to motor on from the 9km point. Around the 9km mark you run past the finish line. A little demorilaising to be so near but so far. Fortunately our girls were there cheering us on and that gave me the spur I needed. We even managed to pose for a photo mid run. Rick motored off and I attempted to keep up for about 2 strides then decided I couldn't do it. I upped my pace from my original pace but let Rick go. He afterwards felt guilty for this, but I was cool with it. Especially as I picked out a bloke ahead in a white T-shirt and thought, "I'm going to try and beat him." He was going a similar pace and was far enough ahead that I would have to open up a little and drive on. I caught him just before the final bend and by this point I was really running. As I rounded the last bend it became apparent that he had started sprinting too. We bizarrely ended up in a sprint finish with loads of people cheering us on. I'm happy to say I didn't look back and just kept running and came in ahead of him. The point was, of course, to finish in a time I was happy with, but that competitive streak in me got a little buzz out of it. I remembered to hit stop on my watch just after I passed the line and had finished in an unofficial time of 52 mins and 48 secs. As I was aiming for 55 mins I was VERY happy with this. Unfortunately the official time has not yet been posted yet and I can't remember the route to post that either.
Rubbish!

Afterwards I felt fine very quickly. My calves stiffened up from sittiing in the car and my knee was a little stiff later on. Although I felt nothing in my knee at all whilst running.

I managed to get £212.01 sponsorship for my efforts and would like to thank everyone for that. Good stuff people. We did well. I'm sure the kids supported by the NSPCC are grateful too.

Half marathon in March...........

No comments:

Post a Comment